Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Newborn Survival Kit-"Must NEEDS"

Ok mommies, I call this post my newborn survival kit because these were the items that were not just my "Must Haves," but my "Must NEEDS!" 

As we all know each child is different.  What works for one may not work for another.  This is something I quickly discovered.  I was surprised how many techniques, items, etc. that worked for one family and didn't work for another.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  A quick glance at the aisles of Babies-R-Us will show you that the there is a HUGE market on baby "solutions" and must haves.  One of my first questions when I brought SG home was, "what worked for you."  Every mommy had something different to share so I thought I would talk about what worked for us.  Now keep in mind this may not all work for your sweet one but maybe, just maybe, one item will work.  Also, this is just a SMALL sampling of things I could remember---sadly pregnancy brain has morphed into mommy brain.  I am sure I will have more posts similar to this one with lots of add ons!

 So here it goes, my Newborn Survival Kit complete with links.  As always, I invite you to comment and add your "Must Needs."

Nap Nanny Chill-please read my recent post regarding the NN.  This is still the best way SG sleeps and we continue to use it. To Nap Nanny or Not Nap Nanny-That is the Question
Graco "Sweet Slumber" Sound Machine-I researched many machines and found that this one had the highest rating for the money.  I also like that I can plug in SG's iPod (no she didn't get a new one, we just gave her an old one) so she can listen to different sorts of music (I am a music nerd and like to expose her to as many genres as possible). Graco "Sleep Slumber"
Summer Swaddle Me-I was VERY late in the game using this because I thought SG hated to be swaddled but a friend recommended I try again.  She told me her newborn (NB) hated being swaddled at first but got used to it and she slept MUCH better with a swaddle.  We tried and she was right...eventually SG became accustomed to it.  NBs startle very easy and due to developing nervous systems they also startle often.  The swaddle kept SG's arms and hands from flailing around which would always wake her up.  We now swaddle for naps and nighttime sleep and when we swaddle her she knows it's time to sleep.  Swaddle Me
Huggies Little Snugglers-I wondered what the difference was between all these diaper brands and types, so I thought I would do a little research.  I found that the Huggies Snugglers are slightly thicker and absorbent.  They are more expensive but now that our sweet girl sleeps longer stretches (especially at night), I find they are a must for leak prevention.  They also include the cutout for the umbilical cord and have a wetness indicator (not that you can't tell if your baby is wet but it's a cool bell and whistle).  I also preferred the Natural Care line as well as they didn't irritate SG's skin. Huggies Little Snugglers
Huggies Natural Care Wipes-Since my husband has eczema I had a feeling SG would be born with it as well...which she was.  I know from experience that anything with scents can cause the eczema to flare up so I registered and purchased all natural, scent-free or organic diapers, lotions and soaps for SG.  These wipes are still thick and sturdy but lack the artificial scent many wipes have. Huggies Natural Care Wipes
Burts Bees-ANYTHING BBs has worked for us.  I  made the mistake of using Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo and lotion on SG because I selfishly wanted that "baby smell."  BAD idea.  She broke out in a severe case of eczema.  Once I started using BBs she cleared up and all is good.  It is much more expensive but definitely worth the money.  My favorites are the Baby Bee Multi-purpose ointment, Baby Oil, Baby Bee Bodywash and Baby Bee pump lotion.  I use the multi-purpose ointment at night to act as a barrier with SG's wet diapers.  Oh and soon-to-be mommies...I also used Momma Bee Belly Rub while prego. Baby Bees by Burts Bees Products
LOVE this stuff!  You can use it for almost anything!
Lil Remedies Cradle Cap Shampoo-At the first signs of cradle cap on SG I purchased this shampoo.  It didn't say it was organic (I had a hard time finding an organic cradle cap shampoo...they are out there but BRU didn't have any on stock so I reluctantly bought this instead) but it worked like a charm.  In fact we still use it on her.  She never experience bad cradle cap and it smells pretty yummy too! Little Remedies Cradle Cap Shampoo
Vaseline-Sounds simple and generic but it works!  We put this on SG's big ol' cheeks every night and morning to help with her eczema.  Works like a charm, no flare ups!
California Baby Diaper Area Wash-this product was fantastic for the one time SG got diaper rash.  It's a gentle cleansing spray (all organic) that you spray on baby's bum and let air dry.  It soothes their sweet bum skin and it smells great too!  Actually, this is another great organic line for those sensitive lil ones.  California Baby
Boudreaux's Butt Paste-Again, we used this the one time SG got diaper rash.  First, we used the old standby, Desitin Extra Strength and that did nothing.  One application of BBP and her diaper rash was almost gone.  Butt Paste
Dr. Brown's Bottles-LIFE SAVER alert!!!  We started out with Avent Natural Flow bottles but SG had such bad gas (like all newborns) that she was constantly struggling and in pain.  A daddy friend of mine recommended Dr. Brown's.  I ordered them on Amazon for next day delivery and saw results IMMEDIATELY.  They also have different nipples for different stages and flow. Check out the link which details the Dr. Brown's vent system technology.  A friend of mine just told me that Tommy Tippee also has a vent system in their bottles.  I highly recommend these from the get go.  Sadly I have over $50 worth of bottles sitting in a cabinet at home.  Dr. Brown's Bottles
Spa Vapor Diffuser-Ok this may seem a bit gimicky but we LOVE this.  We purchased this diffuser and add a few drops of baby friendly Lavender essential oil (and sometimes Ylang) which both promote relaxation and sleep.  Every night we turn it on to help SG sleep.  I bought both the vapor diffuser and essential oils on the site attached.  Great deals here!  Spa Vapor Diffuser
Chamomile Tea-Ok another one that sounds a bit gimicky but I swear by this.  At about four weeks through six weeks SG went through a very difficult time.  This is when a lot of babies have difficulty with gas, colic and often have trouble sleeping.  My mom told me that chamomile tea would work.  What?!  Do I just make her a cup of tea?!  Not exactly.  All you do is brew organic (decaf) chamomile tea...make it very weak.  Then you can either mix an oz. of the tea with formula or a medicine dropper to administer it to your baby.  Chamomile has soothing effects on the tummy and promotes relaxation.  It worked like a charm for us!  See proof in the photo below taken the morning after Sofia Grace had a marathon night of gas and crying.  Chamomile Tea

Proof Positive that Chamomile works!

My Little Lamb Swing by Fisher Price-Again I was LATE to the game when it came to swing knowledge.  At twelve weeks SG went through a stage where everything that worked before she hated.  AWESOME!  We had a swing before but it swung front to back.  A good mommy friend asked me if I had tried this swing.  I said no. She told me that her lil one hated swings that swung front to back but that this one swung side to side which she preferred.  We tested SG in hers and like magic she dozed off instantly!  At this point the only way she would sleep during the day was in my arms which was NOT ok.  This swing was my lifesaver!  On some days SG would stay in there up to an hour!  I found mine on a Facebook Neighborhood Buy and Sell site.  I highly recommend this swing.  I originally said, NO swings....but once you are sleep deprived you will try anything.  My friend told me she calls it the "Silence of the Lambs" because it always quiets her lil one.  I also get a kick out of the built in ears that make your baby look like a lamb.  I know...I am humored by the small things.  :)The only downside might be the size but who cares if it means you can go to the bathroom and eat uninterrupted! Little Lamb Cradle n' Swing
Behold...the "Silence of the Lambs!"
Baby K'tan-a very good mommy friend of mine told me about this wrap.  I thought, "I have the Baby Bjorn, what more do I need?"  WELL....this was absolutely perfect for SG when she was very tiny.  The Baby Bjorn was a bit too bulky for our new lil nugget so I used this much more.  The website shows you how to use this "strap thingy" (as my husband called it) in all sorts of different ways.  At first I used the "Kangaroo" style the most but then I moved to using the other styles.  SG loved to hang out in here.  I also did a lot of research on "wearing" your baby.  New studies are showing that babies that are "worn" by their mothers end up having less seperation anxiety and grow up more independant.  This also worked like a charm during SG's witching hours which was every day fro 4 PM-8 PM.  This was her fussy time.  I used to just stuff her (ok not stuff her but you get the idea) in her Baby K'tan and she would calm down immediately.  I would cook, clean, shop, even exercise with her in there.  She just hung out.  Up until last week (sad day for for me), I would put her in her sling for her last nap of the day, mainly because I was selfish and wanted good snuggles, but just last week she decided she was too big for her sling. Baby K'tan
Wine-ok, ok this one isn't necessarily for baby but let's face it...all new mommies all feel like we could use a drink every now and then.  I know many of you are breastfeeding but for those who aren't or if you have scheduled a planned "Pump and Dump" stress relieving sesh then I highly recommend these bottles.  All under $15!!!!  Cheers!!!
  • Robert Mondavi, Private Selection-Pinot Noir
  • Beringer-Founder's Estate-Pinot Noir
  • Cupcake-Any Type---Proseco is delish

4 comments:

  1. Lots of great advice here! On the Spa Diffuser, from a medical standpoint, be careful with scents in and around babies. They can cause respiratory irritation. GREAT information for babies with eczema... Cetaphil is a great line to try, as well. Love your addition of a suggested wine list! As a mom of three, I'll be trying those when the kids go down! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing such a great job Lissette, love reading the blog and getting tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/06/14/nap-nanny-baby-recliners-recall-cpsc/2424019/

    ReplyDelete