Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Picnics + Nature Naps

Spring is my second favorite season after fall and in Houston we are on the verge of spring (sadly my two favorite seasons are our shortest).  I so look forward to that fresh “spring” air and being outside.  Last year during this time I was about 12 weeks pregnant and in the throes of morning sickness.  This meant I had become a recluse.  I could do nothing but lay in bed or on the couch.  At nine weeks I ran my first half-marathon and had become very accustomed to being outdoors everyday training.  But by 12 weeks I thought I was going to die.  From 8 AM-8 PM I was suffering from extreme nausea.  During this time of being a recluse I also became a bit depressed because I no longer had the energy to go outside.  I remember one particular day I woke up to go for a jog and thought I would fight through it.  I got all dressed and got in my car to head to the running trail and on my way there I felt like death and instead headed to Starbucks for a soothing drink.  I remember crying while driving because I wanted so badly to be outdoors with all the other Houstonians.  I drove past all the joggers and cyclists at the park and my heart sank.  I just couldn’t do it…I was too sick.  L  When I got home Daniel could see the sadness on my face and promised me that when Sofia Grace arrived we would get back to our outdoor lifestyle.  And so I dedicate this post to Sofia Grace’s first picnic and some items I found helpful for our outing.
First of all you need a good blanket.  Now I know we all have that one blanket that is too ugly to keep but too useful to throw out.  This blanket is typically designated for picnics, tailgates, moving or for making forts in your home (I have been known to do this with friend’s kids).  You know the blanket…one from about 20 years ago with some sort of ridiculous pattern or character on it complete with stains from year's past.  My only problem with picnic blankets from home is that inevitably leaves, dirt or some other debris or stain ends up on the blanket making it a pain to clean.  My solution to this problem was to register for a kid-friendly outdoor blanket.  Now at first I thought it a bit frivolous but I am SOOO glad I registered and received this gift.  I highly recommend the JJ Cole All Purpose Blanket.  It is perfect for the outdoors.  It is large enough for adults, is water resistant, comfortable and comes in great patterns.  The best part is that it rolls up into a convenient carrier (resembling a purse). 

This blanket is much larger than I thought it would be.


Second thing you need is good mosquito repellant.  We live in the Bayou City which means blood thirsty mosquitoes year round.  My choice is Babyganics Shoo Fly Deet Free Bug Spray.  This repellant keeps those pesky mosquitoes away without being too stinky…in fact it smells like cloves.  Oh and it’s gently enough for SG to use on her sensitive skin.  Next item I needed were some cool shades for SG.  She has a sun shade on her stroller but sometimes the sun still gets to her.  I wondered where I could find shades that would stay on a four month old.  Behold, Baby Banz polarized (yes, I said polarized, how cute is that?) sunglasses…complete with straps.  SG loves hers and just chills with them on.  Granted they look more like goggles but who cares, they are still cute. 

Chillin in her shades!

 

The next thing I made sure to bring was her stroller insert.  Our picnic took place during nap time and rather than just place her on the picnic blanket I lowered her stroller seat and let her nap in it on top of her stroller insert.  I use the Summer Infant Snuzzler because it has little head rests and arm rests and keeps baby feeling comfy and cozy without making them too hot.  See proof below.  On this particular day it was absolutely gorgeous out!  There was a cool breeze but it was still warm enough to wear shorts. 

Snug as a bug...


SG is hot natured but loves a snuggly blanket.  Rather than bring her teddy bear blanket I brought her muslin swaddle.  I prefer the Aden + Anais Muslin Swaddle.  This was perfect because when I wrapped her up it gave her the comfort of a blanket but it still let the breeze cool her off. 



Next, we needed to pack SG’s “lunch” AKA her bottle.  We brought the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Anti-Colic Bottles and Formula Cups.  These were recommended to me by my dear mommy friend, Papar.  Rather than pack your formula separately these cups fit right inside the bottle holding the formula in a dispenser until you are ready to mix with water….genius!  I feel like its Tommy Tipee Tupperware!  We also took a few toys but SG was pretty much occupied by watching all the kids play on the playground so we really didn’t need to entertain her.  Other than that, we tried to keep it simple (although I won’t lie I did pack sushi takeout as my lunch---kind of reminded me of Claire on the Breakfast Club) so we could enjoy the outdoors as much as possible.
The day was perfect (despite the fact that SG was still a bit fussy from her 4 month old vaccinations).  We snuggled, watched the kids play, walked, talked, ate and were merry!

Laughing from daddy's kisses.

"Dad could you hold my paci?  I'm too exhausted to do it."

Just woke up from her first nature nap.
 
I would love to hear your product recs and tips for outdoor activities too!  In the meantime I hope everyone is able to enjoy this amazing spring weather and possibly a picnic with their lil one!  Happy picnicking!
PS…Don’t forget the camera oh and all items can be found on Amazon!

3 comments:

  1. Weather permitting, we are planning our first park picnic for this weekend. I am totally getting on Amazon right now to order everything on your list! Thank God for Amazon Prime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Cassie! It will be lots of fun! We will need to arrange a group picnic soon. Oh and yes God bless Amazon Prime!

    ReplyDelete