Wednesday, April 3, 2013

SG's 1st Easter-and mommy's lesson learned...

Hi Mommies,
 
I am so sorry I haven't posted in awhile.  Things got a bit hectic with family in town but I did want to share a quick post about SG's 1st Easter.  I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter as well!
 
When I was a little girl our family did not really attend church on a regular basis. I often went with my childhood best friend and her family. One of my favorite times at church was always Easter. Of course I also loved Easter because that meant Easter baskets, presents and CANDY! I always had visions of the amazingly elaborate baskets I would put together for my children. Baskets overflowing with candy and toys.  I had envisioned this for SG’s 1st Easter.  Although, like many things in life I had to learn the hard way that huge baskets, perfect outfits and big spectacles don’t always = the perfect Easter. Here is how SG’s 1st Easter really went.
                     
Sadly, I must admit that I did not make a basket for SG. I have been so busy between my job, my photography business and just trying to spend as much time with SG in my free time that I never got around to putting it together. I was so sad when I woke up Sunday morning thinking about how I had failed.  What would my daughter think?  I didn’t even put anything together for her!  I did buy her a few items but never really put it all together.  Tragedy #1.
 
After stressing over the perfect outfit for all of us to wear (we had to match of course!) I made sure SG’s hair was perfectly coiffed.  We were finally ready and out the door with my parents and in-laws. After arriving to church I pulled SG out of her car seat I noticed her hair was a disaster!  And her bow just didn’t want to stay in place.  Boo---tragedy #2.
 
 Then as we are walking in SG decides it is the perfect time for a big poopy diaper (this kid literally only poops at home---never while we are out).  Of course I immediately stress out…her outfit!!1  Thank goodness we barely missed ruining the gingham outfit (I kid you not she was about 1” away from a major blowout!) I had searched high and low for, for weeks.  I took her to the family restroom to change her where tragedy #3 happened---poo on mommy.  Ugh, this was the dumbest Easter ever!

 
 Finally, we dropped the lil Nuggy off at nursery school and we entered the sanctuary for service.  Our Pastor gave an AMAZING (actually all his sermons are amazing) sermon.  He told us that just as God made us his priority we are to do the same.  The day starts with Him and ends with Him.  He also reminded us to remember the true meaning of Easter.  I sat there…guilt and shame swept over me.  From the moment I woke up I was stressed, disappointed and annoyed at the most mundane things.  Things that didn’t matter.  I had completely missed what Easter was all about. So what if Easter brunch wasn’t perfect?  So what if I didn’t make SG a huge Easter basket?  So what if her hair was less than perfect (she has a natural bump it with all that volume in her hair J)?  So what if I got poo on me (I mean I did have hand sanitizer).  I had forgotten what Easter was truly all about.  I decided to change my attitude right then and there and thanked God for helping me to realize that Easter is more than all these things; it is about celebrating Jesus and family!
 
 As soon as my attitude changed everything went great.  Brunch wasn’t perfect and that was ok.  SG didn’t need an Easter basket and enjoyed the books I bought her very much.  And the greatest gift I can give my daughter is showing her what I value above all else…God.  Her bow came off and I let that bed head run wild!  And the poo…well c’mon that’s a badge of honor!
 
 So after all my stressing at the end of the day I reflected back on SG’s first Easter and realized it was just as it should have been.  She was surrounded by both sets of grandparents (and was literally NEVER put down between the four of them) and her daddy and I.  I know that even though there was no basket for her to open she felt loved.  We spent the day playing with her and loving on her as much as possible.  That night as I fed her and rocked her I thought about God’s sacrifice---giving his only son so that we could be forgiven.  I thought about Mary watching her son be tortured and crucified and the excruciating pain she must have felt.  It brought tears to my eyes as I held my sweet Sofia Grace in my arms.  I was reminded that it is because of God’s grace that I was able to spend such an amazing day with my daughter.  After all, there is always next year to work on a basket but at least this year I was able to “fill her basket” in another way and I hope I always remember that. The day was an imperfect day---which was perfectly fine with me.
 
 Here are some photos from SG’s first Easter.
 
Husband couldn't wait until was SG old enough to sit on his shoulders.  SG obviously loves it.
 
The loves of my life....complete with a lil drool for effect.  :)
 
My sugar bear---happiest girl I know!
 
The Jenkins-Easter 2013

SG with my parents, Grandma and Poppa.  I think she prefers her Poppa to all of us...must be the beard!
 
SG with her other grandma and grandpa.  Her grandma and daddy are where she gets all her happiness from, they are the two happiest people I know.

Flying with Poppa!

My girl.
 
Four generations here.  My grandma, my mom, me and Nuggy.

Getting her grandpa to act silly for her. 

One of my favorites.
 


 

3 comments:

  1. Heh Liam's birthday was Easter... and we had similar "tragedies".. like... I did't make him a basket OR get him a birthday gift... Mother of the Year, here I come!... thankfully, when I was pregnant with Kaylee, I had an even bigger one.. the pastor's wife asked how I was doing and I burst out crying.. this was after a waterbug crawled across the bathroom counter as I was getting ready (gross! Seriously?!?)... after the truck almost didn't start... and after Brian slammed the umbrella in the truck door, bending it completely in half rendering it useless... Nothing can stop the craziness of that Easter. LOL

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! It's so funny how things go "wrong" during those times. I truly think it's God's way of telling us to just calm down. But I am not gonna lie, I would have burst into tears too if I were you. Only other mommies understand this craziness! Thanks for the post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I often get caught up in the "tragedies" of baby and 3 year old (and believe me there are a lot!) but all that matters in life are God, my family and friends. What a beautiful family you have Lissette! Love the pictures and you all look fabulous as usual!

    ReplyDelete