Thursday, August 1, 2013

Darkness in the Valley and Light in the Future

I know, I know...I have been slacking when it comes to blogging.  Here's something someone told me before SG was born, "you are going to wonder what you did with all your free time before kids."  He was right!  Yes what where we doing for goodness sake?!  I feel like time slips away so quickly now.  SG is 10 months...TEN MONTHS!  That's almost ONE YEAR!  No!!!!  My baby girl is growing up so quickly!  My heart is sad that there are certain moments that I will never get back with her.  Time just ticks by.  I guess that's why I have been blogging less.  I have felt an overwhelming need to spend as much time with my family as possible.  It's nice, our lil family.  Just the 3 1/2 of us (Puppy Sister---Chloe is the 1/2).  Anyhoo...we've kind of got our nice lil family time together in the evenings now and it's hard not to compromise that.  We play, eat dinner (SG is such a big girl now and we all eat together), play some more, go for a swim or a walk, bath (only SG and daddy) then prayers and bedtime (that's mommy and SG time).  By the time that's all said and done it's time to clean-up, workout, prep meals for next day, bathe and hit the sack.  I was blogging in the evenings but haven't been lately because the night just slips away.  

Tonight, I wanted to devote some time to blogging again.  Plus, I owe you guys an update on my Guatemala trip which I definitely want to share (I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from everyone).  So let's continue...

Day 4 was an awesome day!!!  Day 4 we were scheduled to help another mission group from our church who was scheduled to work at a school in Guatemala City.  We had no idea what to expect.  We thought school, kids, play, be silly, sing songs, etc.  How hard could it be.  But like everything on this trip we were shocked, overwhelmed, over joyed, touched and amazed.  The school we were visiting is a school that is dedicated to giving an education to children who live in the squatter villages.  Squatter villages are essentially the shanty towns that in the center of town.  Back during the Guatemalan Civil War families who could not afford homes and property built "homes" along cliffs and valleys in the middle of the city.  These villages also back up to the city cemetery.  One thing to know is that this is not a private cemetery with manicured lawns, pretty flowers and beautiful landscapes.  No...this cemetery is like a city of it's own.  It sits behind a large wall and takes up several acres.  Once you enter the cemetery walls you step into another world full of death, sadness, poverty, heartache and loss.  Immediately you realize how different things are in the states.  Some plots are overgrown, dilapidated, faded and broken.  Stray dogs run around and street vendors sell food, candles, flowers and other items along the old cobblestone roads.  I want to make sure you are able to visualize the sadness of this place.  Now imagine living right next to it.  Makes your stomach turn doesn't it?  Now imagine 100's probably 1,000's of sweet, beautiful, innocent children being raised on the outskirts of this area in an even darker place.  No running water, no electricity.  A home the size of my daughters 12'x14' bedroom.  This is the place that the children of this school live and the school they attend is the only light many of them see, the only light many of them feel, it is their future.

The school is run by a national organization called AMG.  This organization has been helping to bring Christ to over 8,000 children and families for over 35 years.  AMG manages the school we worked with.  The organization seeks to help children of the lowest means from some of the worst conditions and give them a chance at a different life than their parents.  They use the "bridge to life" model.  Click here for a detailed description of what this is.  In short it is a model that takes children as young as 3 years old and places them in school and gives them education, protection, health, vocation, relief and sponsorship.  Many of these children live in homes where incest and sexual abuse is the norm.  By 5 years of age many of these innocent children have witnessed or experienced horrors from your worst nightmares (sexual abuse, physical abuse and neglect).  I was told that many little girls are sexually abused by their fathers or grandfathers and often times fathers end up taking their daughters as their wives once their wife passes away.  The filth and disgust I felt when I heard this was inexplicable.  Being a mother and a mother to a daughter that just made me sick beyond belief.  But amongst all this darkness AMG is there to hopefully lead these children to the light.  The school will sponsor a child from 3-18 years of age.  To sponsor a child costs only $35 a month!  Yes a month!  That gives the child the basics; education, two meals and two snacks a day, a uniform and basic health care if they are sick.  For around $50 a month that also buys the child counseling and therapy which many need.  Often time  by the age of 13 many of these children fall out of the program.  Why?  Gangs.  You see this is the age that many of them come to realize the cruelties of home (abuse, neglect, etc.) and this is the age when they seek to find comfort in someone or something.  Gangs do this for many of these children.  Gangs offer these kids community, family, income and more.  I know I am making it sound like a good thing but we both know it isn't.  These children make money by stealing and even murder.  It only costs around 800Q (equivalent of $100) to put a hit on someone. To these kids money is a means out and many fall into this trap.  It is a sad truth and harsh reality that I was so heartbroken to hear.  But AMG strives to keep these kids in the program.


During our visit my dear friend Katy and I were assigned to a room of 3-5 year olds.  Wow!  Talk about a room full of beautiful lil babies.  There were about 30 sets of big dark brown eyes staring at us as we walked in.  Who were we?  What were we doing?  We didn't really know what to do so we started helping the kids with their daily art project.  This isn't an art project we are used to seeing in the states.  These lil angels were finger painting a carrot that had been decorated with tissue paper.  Here's the catch.  Their teacher had to hand draw each carrot by hand since they do not have a copy machine.  The tissue paper was toilet paper because that's less expensive than fancy colored paper.  The kids shared the tiniest bottle of tempera paint amongst them (I felt like I was watching Jesus increase the number of loaves of bread and fish as I watched the teacher make this paint stretch for all the children).  The paint holders were lids from soda bottles or bottles of water.  These babies painted con un dedo (one finger) inside the lines...all of them!  After craft was snack time.  Teacher gave the signal and all the lil kids ran to their mochilas (backpacks).  Each pulled out a plastic cup (not a dixie cup or cool plastic cup from the pool, most had beat up old looking plastic cups that we would throw away).  Then they all sat down, hands crossed on top of their heads and waited.  Yes, 30 three and four year olds sat and waited.  Katy and I passed out the snack.  Bread and rice milk.  No not fancy bread, bread that you and I might consider stale and not fancy Whole Foods rice milk--the homemade stuff (actually it's delicious, my mom used to make it for me when I was little).  Once EVERYONE was served they all bowed their heads and prayed.  That's when Katy and my eyes filled with tears.  These little babies were all praising God despite where the came from and what they did not have.  The site took my breath away!

We sang songs, played, danced and did lots of laughing and hugging with the kids.  Here is a video of worship time.



Then it was nap time and time for teacher to take a nice lunch break (she usually does not get one).  After some time and with the teacher's help we were finally able to get them down for a nap.  In America most kids nap on individual naps or cots.  In Guatemala, where we were they shared a twin mattress with a poor excuse for a sheet (a king sheet cut in three).  Five kids per mattress.  This just broke my heart again.  I spend so much time and fuss so much over making the perfect sleeping condition for SG and these children, while sharing a bed are probably sleeping on something nicer than they have at home.  Once all the kids were asleep Katy and I needed to clean the classroom.  The teacher told us she swept and mopped each day.  I asked her where the  broom and mop were.  She pointed to the broom and two rags and a bucket...the mop.  Wow, she cleaned the floor by hand on her hands and knees each day.  Once again Katy and I had no words.  We felt like spoiled Americans with all of our luxuries.  Seeing the children asleep and cleaning the floor on our hands and knees was more than humbling...it was eye opening.  
The mochilas, a hallway, student art books, cepillas de dientes (toothbrush), art time, singing with Kimmy from church, paint dispensers.
Add caption

This sweetie gave me her bag of chips from her lunch sack as a gift.  God bless her sweet heart!

Bible study time.  Time to learn about Abraham and Sarah.

Art time!!!  Every single one of them painted INSIDE the lines!

Five babies per mattress.  Heartbreaking and heartwarming all at once.

The day ended shortly after that.  The children were all so loving. Many would run up and hug us and not let go.  All they wanted was attention...love.  Their teacher was the kindest, sweetest, gentlest soul I have ever had the honor of knowing.  All the children were so obedient. They were all like little adults, learning to take care of themselves...because sadly many will have to.  We spent the rest of the day helping the men work on a wall they were building for the school.  The wall was constructed out of cinder blocks and rebar.  Again, we were shocked.  The men had the rebar but had to actually build the support structures for the wall first.  In the states most of this comes pre-manufactured.  It was amazing to see the men working with their hands and building something that would protect the sweet angels we had just spent the day with.

Building...

This work was no joke.  The men didn't have the tools needed and did most of this work by hand.
One of my favorite shots...just reminds me of the how the hands of God work in our lives.
Our day with out lil Guatemalan friends was awesome!  As a mother I really realized how much I covet material things for my daughter.  Of course I want my daughter to have the best, but all the extra hoopla that I buy isn't always necessary.  I learned that even at such a young age I can start to teach my daughter to honor God---teach her to pray and pray out loud and proud like these children.  I learned that I don't need to put so much emphasis on buying every single perfect toy, educational item, etc. for SG.  That even with toilet paper and finger paint she can fill a canvas and learn.  

One little boy stopped me and asked me what I had around my neck.  "What do you think it is my love?"  "Creo que es un cruz (I think it's a cross)."  "Si mi amor (yes my love)."  "Y porque tienes un cruz (and why do you have a cross)?"  "Porque Jesus vive en mi corazon y con esta cruz you sabe que el es conmigo siempre (because Jesus is in my heart and with this cross I know Jesus is with me)."  "Ahhh...Jesus vive en mi casa tambien...el vive donde tenemos un cruz en la sala (Ahh...Jesus lives in my house too, he lives in our living room where we have a cross)."  "Y donde vive Jesus in tu casa )and where does Jesus live in your house)?"  That was the cutest conversation I have ever had.  So innocent and so literal...yes Jesus lives in my home and in my living room too I told him.

I know this was a LONG post but there was a lot to share.  If you are interested in more information on AMG and/or sponsoring or donating please visit their website.  And of course I am always here to answer any questions at all.  

XOXO

PS...Forgive my Spanish and lack of punctuation.  ;)

To learn more about AMG follow this link

1 comment:

  1. Greetings! I'm Heather and I was hoping you would be willing to answer my question about your blog! Please email me when you get a free moment at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

    ReplyDelete