Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The BEST of the BEST-How to Register for your Baby Shower

What to write about first?!  So many topics, so many things and yet I can't decide.  I think I will write about things in the order that they came up in my life as a new mommy.  When we first find out we are pregnant we go gaga over every gadget for new baby.  We literally want EVERYTHING and put just about all of it on our registries.  After all, one of the highlights of being pregnant is the baby shower.  Word of advice...when you go to register take a recent mommy with you.  I say recent because products and fads change so frequently that a mommy from five years ago may not know about all the new "cool" things that a mommy from one to two years ago knows about.  I remember being so excited and starting my registry super early....like when I was 16 weeks!  I registered for all sorts of things.  Then one day one of my mommy friends came up to me and said, "I hope you don't mind some unsolicited advice but would you mind if I gave you advice on a few items you registered for?"  "What?!"  How dare she, I thought!  But she was a very good friend and so I listened...and it was a good thing that I did.  Who was I to think I knew more than a mommy?  After all, I had never been a mommy before.  It seemed like EVERY product claimed to be the BEST product.  This one puts your baby to sleep instantly, this one NEVER creates gas, this one sucks all the boogers out, this one is sure to make your baby 10x smarter than the average bear, this one is the softest, the hardest, the safest, the this, the that and on and on.  And just about all of them were on my registry!
 
So again, my first bit of advice is take a recent mommy with you to register for your baby shower.  I have a great friend who created a list of "reviews" that she and her other mommy friends made.  It was awesome!  I took their list and compared it to what I had registered for and it made a world of difference.  Don't have a mommy friend?  Then I HIGHLY recommend the book Baby Bargains by Denise and Alan Fields.  This book is amazing.  It did make it on Oprah's Best Books list and even though she's never been a mommy you know she only showcases the best on her show.  Think of this as the Consumer Reports of baby products except in mommy talk.  Thousands of products are reviewed and given grades based on design, price and much more.  I especially love how the book breaks down reviews in both verbose paragraphs or charts (I am a chart girl, let's get to the point)...so if you like lots of words like my Husband the book caters to you and if you like charts like me then it also caters to you.  I would say that about 95% of all purchases I have  made I have first referenced in this book.  And I was surprised to find out that some of the claimed "best" products were not necessarily the best. 
 
As with just about everything that I purchase, my best friend, Amazon carries this book.  Below is a link to the newest edition.  I have dog eared and highlighted mine to death and passed it on to another soon-to-be mommy.  She was thrilled that all the work had been done for her.  So there's another idea...pass your book on to other mommies...eventually it will make its way back to you.
 
Happy registering!!!!

 

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Bargains-Denise-Fields/dp/1889392448/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357669044&sr=8-2&keywords=baby+bargains

No comments:

Post a Comment