Monday, January 7, 2013

Life's lil nuggets...

I must admit, I have been wanting to start this blog since about November of 2012 however, with a then 10 week old baby and the holidays I never got around to it.  Instead I've been making notes on subject ideas during middle of the night feedings.  I now have quite the list of topics to discuss on my iPhone.  There have been nights where I've literally woken up in the middle of the night and thought, "OMG, I've got to make a posting about this...do NOT forget."  Then a mere 2 hours later when I wake up to feed my lil one I'm left thinking, "what was I supposed to remember?"  Mommy brain...gets you every time!  Alas, eight days into 2013 I have finally found the time am sitting down to write my first blog entry.  Where is my lil one you ask?  Sleeping right on me in her carrier.  Multi-tasking...a mommy's most needed acquired survival skill. 
 
Before I get started I want to explain the purpose of this blog.  I am a first time mommy.  Before Sofia Grace arrived I was the girl who had it all together.  I am your typical Type A personality...controlling, organized, a planner, etc.  I could juggle about 100 tasks at a time, wifely duties, a full-time job, a social life, a fit life all while always managing to be fully makeuped (yes, I know this is not a real word) and ready to go.  Rewind to September 24, 2012 and that ALL changed.  Most days I am lucky to get 1/4 of my "To Do" list done, a quick workout (maybe) and makeuped---or even bathed (don't judge).  Let's just say that for the girl who could do it all mommyhood has kicked my you know what!  In fact becoming a mommy has been the most humbling experience of my life...I am sure this was what God was hoping would happen to me. 
 
I will admit that I was shocked at how little I was able to control when I first embarked on the journey to motherhood.  It seemed that just about everything was out of my control.  This along with extreme sleep deprivation (no one tells you that 2 hours of consistent sleep is considered good rest when you first become a mommy) led me to several breakdowns (don't worry, for those who have not had a baby yet, this will most definitely happen to you).  Had it not been for the AMAZING support of my mommy friends I don't think I could have survived the first 12 weeks for SG's life.  As I began to journey through new motherhood I learned so much, so much more than books can teach you, from my friends.  I also learned from a lot of trial and error.  This was when I realized that there are a ton of books that talk about pregnancy but where are the books that talk about what happens AFTER you bring the baby home?!  I don't mean cry it out, sleep through the night, etc. books.  I mean books that get down to the nitty gritty of mommyhood.  You know the books all about poop consistencies, breastfeeding trial and error, mommy recovery (ouch!), how to manage a marriage post baby, sleep (or the lack of it) and so much more?!
 
 It was somewhere around 12 weeks that I decided, after reading many mommy forum sites that I decided I wanted to create something that other mommies could use.  Whether you are looking for advice, tips, stories or a plain ol good laugh I want this blog to become a place mommies come to.  I am aiming to post everything from tips (learned from experience), product reviews, other mommy advice, jokes and just about anything mommies might be interested in.  The name Momma's Nuggets refers to those golden nuggets of advice or help you get and give as a mommy.  I am by no means am an expert and trust me, I have A LOT to learn but one thing I have learned is that it always helps to hear from other mommies.  After all, we HAVE to stick together. 
 
I would love for you to participate and leave your comments, experiences, stories, etc.  Please be kind.  This is not a place for judgement but rather a safe place for all us mommies to feel comfortable to speak freely.  I hope that you will find at the very least a good chuckle every now and then.  And if I am able to help just one mommy then my goal has been accomplished! 
 
Now on to the nuggets...

No comments:

Post a Comment