Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Boobie Blunders + Boobie Basics-Part 2

Okay mommies, I am FINALLY getting to Part 2 of the Boobie Blunders & Boobie Basics posting.   So after posting Part 1 you now know that I stopped BF’ing at 6 weeks (read part 1 to learn why).  That said, I will tell you that I am not a HUGE expert on BF’ing but I did learn a few things along the way.  This post is really going to focus on product recommendations that I found helpful during my short foray in BFing (links included).  J  I would love to hear your product recommendations and anything that worked for you too!  Enjoy!
 
Nursing Pads-These are a MUST!!! I opted for disposable pads.  I know it seems wasteful to use disposable but two things; 1) I barely had time to take care of myself much less do laundry and wash reusable breast pads and 2) sometimes a lil money is worth it for convenience.  I tried a couple of brands but the Lansinoh brand was my favorite and they stayed in place the best and didn’t bunch up which kept me from looking lumpy. 

My favorite brand!

 
Lanolin Cream-There is a lot of debate whether to use creams and lotions or not.  I never had any problems with dryness or cracking which I mainly attribute to not BFing for long but also because I used this after every feeding.  Some people worry their baby won’t like the taste but SG never had a problem, I am guessing because I put it on AFTER a feeding and by the time she had to feed again it was virtually gone.  I loved the Lansinoh brand once again.  This stuff was awesome for when I was sore…kind of gave a cooling effect which offered relief.
Nice and cooling!
 
Cooling Pads-Okay, I admit I never got to use these Lansinoh Therapearl Pads BUT the thought of them sounded so appealing to me, especially at the beginning when I just wasn’t use to all the feedings.  I could have used ice bags but what I liked about these was that they could be chilled in the fridge and placed right in your bra.  Even better these can be chilled or warmed for either cold or hot therapy!  I actually went to buy these the week I stopped BFing.  If anyone has tried these I would love to hear your feedback.
OOOHHHH...gentle and cooling!  Yes please!
 
Breast Pump-A lot of my soon-to-be mommy friends have asked me about breast pumps.  I decided to go ahead and rent a pump.  I went back and forth on whether to buy or rent and looking back I am glad I just rented a pump from the hospital.  The main reason was that since I had so many problems producing milk I needed a very strong pump---hospital grade strong (I even had to use hospital grade on the highest setting!)  and I wouldn’t have wanted to spend $1,200 on a pump (especially since I only used one for about 5 weeks).  I used the Medela Symphony Breast Pump.  I was able to pump in half the time normal pumps would have required which I definitely liked.  All the attachments and accessories can be purchased in separate kits.  Please remember, this isn’t to say, don’t buy your own, but for someone with milk production problems I am so glad I went hospital grade.
Milk Bands-This is another one I didn’t get to use but I WISH I had known about it!  I tried to keep track of which side I last fed on but half the time I would forget to enter it into my iPhone tracking app (mommy apps coming soon).  Inevitably I would forget, especially during middle of the night feedings.  I was a zombie for goodness sake!  I think that if I had one of these I would have SEEN it which would have reminded me.  Milkbands flip inside out to remind you which side you last fed on AND it also has a little slider which allows you to track how long your baby fed or what time.  These make great shower gifts too!  They come in a wide array of colors to match just about any outfit.
They flip inside out to help you keep track of when and which side you last fed on.
 
Udder Covers-the name alone makes you want to buy one of these.  Udder Covers are made by the same creators of Milk Bands.  They make super cute BFing cover-ups that don’t fall off your shoulder or slide off. I love all the patterns and I especially love that these are big enough to cover up but not too big to get bunched up and in the way.  They also fold up in a matching lil carrying case, perfect to keep in your purse, diaper bag or car. 
Lots of super fun patterns!
 

Of course there are tons of other BFing products but I just wanted to list a few of my favs.  Love to hear what you guys loved or worked best for you too!!!

1 comment:

  1. I loved my Udder Covers cover, but my MilkBand markers broke and fell off within a week. Good thing they were cheap! I never thought about a hospital rental pump but after production issues myself with my furst, I may have to look into that with this one!

    ReplyDelete