Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Confession from a Foodie to a Future Foodie

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

So today I thought I would write about my love for food.  Scratch that, rewind...my PASSION for food.  Yes, I am a self-proclaimed foodie.  I watch the Food Network like it's a sporting event, I've read foodie books (No Reservations), I've planned trips in different parts of the country and world just to eat, I have enough cooking supplies to fill the shelves of a Sur La Table and yes, when I eat I have been known to hum with joy.  I LOVE food.  I love cooking, I love everything about food...except the weight (someone seriously needs to invent calorieless food---we can put a man on the moon but can't invent that?!).  Being a foodie you can imagine my pure joy I experienced when I decided I wanted to make as much of SG's food as possible.  I had grand visions of gourmet baby meals on pretty lil platters and my sweets cooing at the site of the feast I had prepared.

Well my friends, God answered that prayer...sort of.  As I am sure you can see we have quite the "healthy" kid.  For those of you that don't know, healthy is code for chunky.  Yes, I gave birth to a small dinosaur weighing in at a whopping 8 lbs. 6 oz.  To put that into perspective I am 5'1" and weighed under 110 lbs. before I was pregnant...so that's a BIG kid.  My doctor attributed this to very healthy eating.  I attribute it to all the Greek yogurt with fresh strawberries I ate almost every day!  That and the PB&J sandwiches I could not get enough of.  Anyhow, needless to say our daughter is healthy and boy does she love her some food. 

I started SG on solids earlier than a lot of moms do.  At first it was a dire attempt to help her sleep through the night.  Note: that did not help us.  I also did it because she just seemed hungry and night feedings were just not getting her through the night.  We started basic with some rice cereal.  To our surprise SG took to eating immediately (as a note, a lot of babies have to "practice" eating and it sometimes takes several tries).  We were astonished that she literally just ate like she had been doing so for years.  After about a month I got antsy and wanted to try real food.  I also couldn't wait to whip out my Baby Brezza.  This is hands down one of the best gifts I received (thank you Kylee, Amanda and Sinity).  Now there are a ton of baby food makers, processors, etc. but I loved the BB because it steamed AND blended and could do so automatically on a timer.  Anything that requires less brain cells and saves a mommy time is a PLUS in my book.  Done and done.  So first up were the basics; apples, pears, bananas.  At about 6 months I decided to start mixing foods.  As a precaution it is always recommended to introduce one type of a food at a time in order to make sure your baby doesn't have an allergic reaction.  So by the time SG was 6 months old she was eating lots of mixed purees.  Now at almost 9 months we are on to the really fun stuff.  You see my husband is a picky eater (not as much now since I force him to eat all sorts of exotic, organic, healthy, crazy concoctions--and he doesn't cook so he's at my mercy) and I did not want SG to inherit his pickiness.  I am not picky at all.  I will try just about anything and I truly believe it is because as a child I was exposed to so many different types of foods.  My goal is to do the same for SG.  So I started getting creative and fun and introducing new herbs, spices and flavors.  I am including a list of some of her favorites under my "Baby Noms" tab for those interested.  Please note, I cook from instinct and rarely measure anything (this is why I cook and don't bake---I am terrible at measuring and following recipes).  So you will notice that I don't really have a lot of measurements.  But if you do try any of these just go with your gut and try a tiny amount...remember baby pallets are still developing so they don't need much of any particular spice before they taste something.  Also, please make sure you have your doctor's permission to start your baby on solids and have exposed them to all of these foods individually before you start mixing.  Lastly I am including my recommendations for fab cookware and a few tips.  I like easy, I like fast clean up and I like it delivered in a gourmet tasting package.   And for some giggs I am including two videos which are part of the video series I have dubbed "Confessions of a Future Foodie."  Keep in mind one of these was shot awhile ago but I promise you will get some laughs.

I hope you all enjoy and test out some of these fun recipes.  Bon appetit!




In the beginning...applesauce.  Pink Ladies were SG's fav.

Mixing and tastin'-Fresh Green Snap Peas, Butternut Squash, Carrots, Free Range Chicken & Parsley

My toolkit Baby Brezza Food Storage Cups, Nuk Food Masher, Baby Brezza and BB Travel n Go system







Tasty Tips That Worked for Us:
  • Start simple and introduce one food every 3-5 days
  • Start with a color or a food group (fruits, veggies, green foods, orange foods, etc.)
  • Don't be upset if your lil one makes funky faces or rejects foods at first, it will take time and think about it, we don't always love everything we taste for the first time (SG hated avocados at first---broke my heart, only food she didn't like and one of my favs--who doesn't like guac?!)
  • If your lil one turns their head at a food at first, try it again in a few weeks or mix it with something they like (I had to mix avocados with prunes to get SG to eat them---PRUNES, seriously?!)
  • Spend a few hours making batches of food and freezing it (I love the lil green XOXO cups above)
  • I try to pre-chop or buy already chopped foods if possible--yes they are more expensive but time is money when it comes to our lil ones and I try to free up as much time as possible to spend with her
  • Use a dry erase marker to label (stickers eventually start coming off)
  • Once they are older start introducing foods you are eating for breakfast or dinner that your pedi approves and mash them up (i.e. bananas, potatoes, etc.)
  • I like to cook a meal for SG for dinner or breakfast if I have time so I chop up her fruits and veggies and put them in small freezer safe Ziploc bags---about an hour before dinner I pull one out let it defrost, or use the BB to steam it then blend or mash it---now baby enjoys a fresh hot meal and you didn't have to prep it
  • Use as much fresh produce as possible (If budget allows I highly recommend going organic---I will leave my reasoning as to why for another post)---there are so many local stores (HEB, Whole Foods, Sprouts) and delivery services (Greenling) that offer all organic produce now making it much easier than before OR hit up your local Farmer's Market (we have one in our neighborhood we try to visit regularly for SG's produce)
  • Don't be scared to experiment (my recipes are proof of that)
  • Don't be afraid to try herbs and spices (I started SG on the strongest spice I could think of and am working down to more mild spices, the thought was if she liked the strong spice than the others would likely be easy, so far this has worked for us---I started her with curry, just a dash and she loved it)

For the recipes click on my recipe tab above.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, love your cute blog & cute baby. I have a question about your trip. Since your husband was so insistent that you both sign up for this, then why isn't he going on the trip with you? I am not trying to be rude or anything I just keep wondering about that!! :) :) :)
    I really think you have cute stories on here & I enjoy reading it. Love that cute baby too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There! We decided from the very begining that since we had another trip planned out of the country after Guatemala that only one of us should go on this particular mission trip. We just didn't want both of us to leave her twice in a month as we felt that was too much time apart from her. It was very hard becuase we originally envision both of us going but we quickly realized that was not best for SG and so we knew only one could attend. We also both found God speaking to us individually that I was the one that should go (becuase I speak Spanish and for lots of reasons that God would reveal to me on my trip). Thank you so very much for your comment and feel free to ask questions. Also, I would love to know who this is if you feel comfortable revealing it...always nice to call people by name. Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. Hi, oh sure, I am Mary Ruiz-- I do not know you--but I came across your blog from a link that I do not even remember now! I think I had Googled something about homemade or organic baby food & it came up??!! lol

      I just read about your trip and I can't wait to hear the rest.

      I have to sign in through anonymous because I do not have my own blog or website. I'm just a random reader! I will sign my posts from now on!
      :) :)

      Delete